Thursday, January 17, 2013

Taking on Science


Hey people…my name is Hannah Meyer. I’m a Poli Sci and French major, hoping to finish up my last term. This is the last of my Gen Eds. (Scary to think I’m nearly done.) I will be the first to say that I am normally not a science person, but this class sounded cool, so I thought what the heck, go for it.

First Blog and the post
When looking for blogs post to talk about my instinct was to Google science blogs and so I did. The first result was Scienceblogs.com, which is in partnership with National Geographic. It was cool because it had all sort of different headings to choose from. Sticking with the front page, the first thing that caught my eye was the post entitled Should I get a Flu Shot? By Greg Laden on his blog “Culture as Science~ Science as Culture.”

This immediately jumped out at me because I ask myself the same question every year. I consider it for about three seconds until I remember that it requires me to have an injection and needles scare the hell out of me. However the argument was very interesting and highly compelling. As I read through it I found myself getting more convinced. I don’t know if I will take the plunge, but I am definitely more likely to do so then I was yesterday. (Still have the needle concern to deal with.) Another interesting aspect to this blog was its cultural element because it dealt with some of the fears that people have about shots like catching the flu from the shot and so on.

Second Blog


Third Blog 


No comments:

Post a Comment