Tuesday, February 26, 2013

First reader: 7 Myths About Physical Activity

-->
After reading the article 7 Myths About Physical Activity 
-->I was surprised to learn that increasing activity would positively correlate to a person's academic performance. While many parents stress their children focus on school they forget to encourage them to do physical activities—which ironically helps them. Coming from a lower income family I did not find the comment that stated, “since children from low-income families are more likely to be physically inactive and obese, and to have lower levels of academic achievement” because most of my friends and myself were not obese nor physically inactive. For instance, even though low-income children may be obese it does not mean they are not healthy and do not engage in physical activity but may just be genetics.
            Furthermore, I do recall being a bit overweight but I was always healthy. I went to the doctor occasionally and never really got ill. I was always active because my friends and I would usually play sports outdoors and had moderate physical activity in P.e. I also noticed that I wasn’t really sedentary but active and seen the same within my cousins. I do agree with the fact that it may increase academic performance because being active makes you more aware and awake during class. By being more active it would leave a child to engage more in class and feel less distracted. Overall it was a great article that scientifically proved common ideas not to be true and emphasize a change to increase activity for reasons such as health, education and encouraging to those that feel because you are overweigh you are not healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment