Thursday, February 7, 2013

Too Stressed to Sleep

While reading all of these posts about stress and it's negative impacts on our health, I started thinking about another growing issue in our lives, namely sleep, or the lack thereof. When I'm stressed out, I usually have trouble sleeping. I've heard countless times how horrible sleep deprivation can be for your health, and while I usually respond with jokes along the lines of 'I'll sleep when I'm dead' or 'sleep is for the tired!', these studies about stress are making me reconsider.

I decided to do a bit of research on my own to with regards to the health effects of sleep deprivation, and I have to say I'm rather shocked by some of the articles I found. According to one source, the effects of sleep deprivation on the immune system are very similar to physical stress, making people more vulnerable to infection.

Being a college student, more often than not I don't get more than five or six hours of sleep a night. Combining the detrimental effects from lack of sleep with increased stress do to college courses, I am curious how much of an impact college life has on the health of a student. While it might be an overstatement,  might one say that, as far as health choices go, going to college isn't the best decision? Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment