Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Learning About Infectious Disease to Longterm Illnesses in Depth


My name is Rozy, I am a sophomore in Anthropology and Sociology. I am taking this class not only because it is one of the major requirements, but because there are some diseases that seem interesting to learn about. 

What truly interested me about taking a class and learning about evolution and human disease was because I wanted to learn more about how humans began to contract cancerous cells or how the brain began to deteriorate. Were humans genetically modified, as we evolved, to the point where we had agents in our bodies that would “self-destruct” without our consent or knowledge? I would love to learn more about our DNA makeup according to cancerous cells or our brain activity compared with people suffering from Alzheimer’s and people who have healthy brain functions.

Some web links that I found interesting about diseases cater more to the infectious diseases as well as illnesses that are long term; such as cancer, diabetes, or Alzheimer's.

 A blog post touches upon infectious disease outbursts in particular cities and different disease such as E. coli and tuberculosis. There are easy treatment sources for these diseases, yet there are developing countries that do not have the necessary means to prevent E. coli or tuberculosis.

Alzheimer's has always been a disease that has interested me. Humans have this organ, the brain, and with all of the advances that we have we still know very little about it. I have actually been reading Had a Dad for a while now, and I think that the rest of the class might enjoy reading it as much as I do. I have learned a lot from this blog.

Looking forward to diving into evolutionary diseases!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rozy! Just a quick note that you provided blog *posts* and websites rather than *blogs,* which is what the assignment prompt requested. I'm just letting you know for next time.

    ReplyDelete