Thursday, March 14, 2013

First Reader: Evolution vs Social Stigma

Chapter 9 “Menstrual-Suppressing Oral Contraceptives” presented a large amount of information on MSOCs, but my overall conclusion and opinion on their usage is still torn.  It is difficult for me to comment on the emotion or physical benefits of avoiding menstruation and its symptoms as I am not a woman.  However, from what I have witnessed from my girl friends, avoiding the symptoms of menstruation and PMS might be worth small negative consequences in return.  It appears from the chapter, and I agree, that there don’t seem to be any benefits to avoiding or disrupting natural menstrual cycles.  The theory that they mimic ancestral gaps in menstruation seemed to be completely disproven in the chapter.  I think that the physical effects of disrupting the cycle need to be further studied before they can be considered safe.  I think the effects should be studied more before they are offered to the general public, who is not always accountable for researching the effects of their medications fully.  I also think it would be a good idea to study the effects on individuals to decide if the risks are too great (which is subjective, though).  Users can track their bodily reactions to the medications and aspects of their health can be charted (such as blood and other tests).  Then doctors can evaluate if the risk is deemed appropriate.  Overall, if I was a woman and had to choose, I would choose to not use the medications.  I would choose so not just because there might be risks involved, but because I don’t think it’s a good idea to mess with natural body rhythms.       

No comments:

Post a Comment